Saturday 15 March 2014

Easy To Make Homemade Almond Milk

I am always on the lookout for new interesting things to make, so I decided to try my hand at making some homemade fresh almond milk! Did you know that humans were not built to digest cows milk and we are not actually meant to drink it? I did not know this, so naturally when I found this out I started looking for a healthy alternative. I chose to make some almond milk as I love trying anything new, and I love creating things in my kitchen! Almond milk is especially good for you and here are a few reasons why: 

- It helps with weight management
- It keeps your heart healthy due to their being no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk
- It keeps your bones strong
- It keeps your skin glowing as it contains 50% of the recommended daily amount of Vitamin E 
- It barely impacts your blood sugar
- It contributes to muscle health and healing
- It keeps your digestion in check 
- It doesn't contain lactose so a great alternative for those who are intolerant!
- Some say it tastes better than cows milk
- It's easy to make (and I can vouch for that!)

So lots of reasons to choose almond milk as a supplement or even just a once in a while change from dairy milk! 

So here's how I made my almond milk. It was so quick and easy! 

Ingredients:
1 cup raw almonds
2 cups water, plus more for soaking
Sweeteners like honey, sugar, agave syrup, or maple syrup, to taste (optional)

Equipment:
Bowls
Strainer
Measuring cup
Blender or food processor (I used a blender)
Fine-mesh nut bag or cheese cloth (I used a muslin square cloth)

Instructions

  1. Soak the almonds overnight or up to 2 days. Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with about an inch of water. They will plump as they absorb water. Let stand, uncovered, overnight or up to 2 days. The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.
  2. Drain and rinse the almonds. Drain the almonds from their soaking water and rinse them thoroughly under cool running water. At this point, the almonds should feel a little squishy if you pinch them.
  3. Combine the almonds and water in a blender. Place the almonds in the blender and cover with 2 cups of water. 
  4. Blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes. Pulse the blender a few times to break up the almonds, then blend continuously for two minutes. The almonds should be broken down into a very fine meal and the water should be white and opaque. (If using a food processor, process for 4 minutes total, pausing to scrape down the sides halfway through.)
  5. Strain the almonds. Line the strainer with either the opened nut bag or cheese cloth, and place over a measuring cup. Pour the almond mixture into the strainer. 
  6. Press all the almond milk from the almond meal. Gather the nut bag or cheese cloth around the almond meal and twist close. Squeeze and press with clean hands to extract as much almond milk as possible. You should get about 2 cups. 
  7. Sweeten to taste. Taste the almond milk, and if a sweeter drink is desired, add sweetener to taste.
  8. Refrigerate almond milk. Store the almond milk in sealed containers in the fridge for up to two days.


So thats it! It may seem like there is alot to this recipe but it really takes no longer than 10 minutes once your almonds have been soaked for a few nights. The almond milk has a very sweet taste. I put some on my cereal one morning and found that I couldn't finish it, so I find that it is best in small doses. I will have to find a way to make it not so sweet! But other than that it is a really lovely alternative to cows milk and I recommend you all give it a go! :) 
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Your blog is just gorgeous, thanks for the follow on bloglovin! Followed you back, would help me out absolutely loads if you could like my latest posts, will do the same for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, that's really kind!
      Yeah no problem I will do that now :) x

      Delete
  2. I love it! I must must give this a go :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. Its so tasty and so healthy! :) x

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, I appreciate and love reading them all!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig